Saturday 9 July 2011

Chocolate Fridge Cake (no baking required)

This is the first recipe I've tried from my new Hummingbird book- it's not my first choice (I'm much more of a cake person!) but my sister was desperate to try it. I'm quite glad I agreed to it now because it is delicious, and very easy to make :)


You will need:
200g Unsalted Butter
100ml Golden Syrup
50g Cocoa Powder
400g Digestive Biscuits
200g Sultanas








The recipe in the book called for double the amounts above, but I thought it was way too much, that's 2 whole packets of biscuits!
  



1) Place the Butter, Golden Syrup and Cocoa Powder in a saucepan (I prefer non-stick, it's so much easier to clean) and heat on a medium heat until all the ingredients are combined, and the mixture is smooth and glossy.




2) Mash your biscuits- I chose the 'bashing it with a rolling pin' method (because it was fun!) then broke up bigger peices by hand (you should end up with even-ish sized chunks). Place the biscuit in a bowl with your sultanas- I decided upon using 100g of sultanas ans 100g of glace cherries instead. I think the recipe is fairly flexible- as long as you kept the total weight of the dried ingredients the same, I see no reason why you can't add whatever you like (marshmallows would probably work well)

3) Mix the chocolate mixture into the biscuits, until the dry ingredients are evenly coated. Spoon the mixture into your tray (line it with cling film for easy removal) and flatten it with a spoon. Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the top, and press it down with a can to make it smooth.







 4) Leave it to cool for a while, then place it in the fridge for a few hours until properly set. Then cut into squares (or your shape of choice) and eat!



Have you made anything yummy recently?

                                                             
                                                                              xGretalRabbitx

2 comments:

  1. They are! (sorry I can't post you some) You should try making your own- it really is super-easy :)
    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)