Saturday 20 August 2011

Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes :)

After the (little bit of) summery weather we've been having I wanted to make something with a lighter, more tropical feel- and perusing through my lovely hummingbird cookbook I found these delicious cupcakes which definitely fit the bill. They work much better with a cocktail than a coffee and have made me really want to be on some tropical island in the sun :)


You will need:

120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter
120ml coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg (which I forgot to photograph)
9 tinned pineapple rings



1) Place the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into a bowl, and beat slowly until it reaches a  'sandy consistency'




 2) Mix the coconut and vanilla extract together in a bowl or jug, then beat into the flour mixture until well combined. Add the egg and beat again.




3) Chop the tinned pineapple (I used about 4 rings as I only had a small tin) into small chunks/ slices, and divide them into paper cases. Fill the cases with cake mixture (about 2/3 full) and bake at 170c (325F, gas mark 3) for approximately 25 minutes.







Frosting!
You will need:

250g icing sugar
80g unsalted butter
25ml coconut milk
Dessicated coconut

1) Beat the ingredients together (as usual, the recipe calls for beating the icing sugar and butter together, then adding the coconut milk, but I find it works just as well- and much less messily- to beat them all together) 





2) Once the frosting is combined, beat for another 5-10 minutes to make it light and fluffy :)

3) Spoon the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes, and top with dessicated coconut.







Sorry for the stupid amount of photos.. but I couldn't help it- I they're extra pretty caupcakes :)

The cupcakes have a lovely but fairly subtle coconut flavour and the pinapple at the bottom gives them a nice combination of textures. I've found they taste better when kept in the fridge (not sure why, but I think the texture seems better)

Whats the last thing you baked?

    
                                                                                                xGretalRabbitx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)