Saturday 10 September 2011

Super-Simple Coffee Cake!

As I mentioned in my Super-Simple Cupcake post, the basic cake recipe can be easily adapted to make coffee or chocolate cakes or cupcakes instead of plain vanilla. It's my dads birthday today, so naturally I had to make him a cake! He requested coffee cake with coffee icing (the man has good taste in cake)- here's my recipe:


You will need:
Eggs
Caster Sugar
Butter
Self Raising Flour
Vanilla Extract
Instant coffee powder
(preferably espresso powder- it's much stronger)


I used 6 eggs (I needed a big cake- we're having a party for 20+ people, which is why this is so late!) but 4 should be enough for a regular sized- 2 layer cake :)


1) Weigh your eggs, mine came to a round 370g, and use this weight as the quantities for your butter, sugar and flour.

2) Take your coffee powder- I used about 1 tablespoon for this many eggs (sorry I don't have an accurate measurement for you!) and dissolve it in as little hot water as possible- approximately 2 teaspoons should be enough. Leave it to cool. (FYI my sister tried to taste this... Don't, it tastes horrible!)




3) Weigh out your butter and sugar, and beat together until smooth and fluffy.




4) Crack in your eggs, add a few drops of vanilla extract, and pour in the cold coffee mixture. Beat again until well combined.



5) Line 2 baking tins with greaseproof paper (draw around the bottom of the tin, and cut out two circles) use melted butter or oil to grease the sides of the tin. Then divide your mixture into the tins, and smooth it out using the back of a spoon.


 


6) Bake for approximately 20/25 minutes (until a skewer comes out clean) then leave to cool in the tins for a while. Take them out of the tins and leave to cool completely.

7) Make your icing!

You will need:
75g Unsalted Butter
175g Icing Sugar
Coffee powder.




I actually made double quantities of the frosting, it really is a big cake!




1) Mix about 2/3 teaspoons of coffee powder with a little hot water (again, as little as possible) and leave to cool.

2)Beat together the butter and icing sugar, then add the cooled coffee mixture. Continue mixing until light and fluffy.

3) Spread a little under half of the frosting onto the 1st layer of cake, then place the 2nd layer ontop. Cover it in frosting, and smooth it out using a flat palette knife. Then cover the whole thing in a lot of candles.




Anyone going to bother counting how old my dad is?

Gotta love birthday cake!


                                                                                 xGretalRabbitx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)