Tuesday 15 November 2011

Review: e.l.f. Therapeutic Conditioning Lip Balm (from their regular line)

As I mentioned in a favourites post at the beginning of October I de-potted my e.l.f. Therapeutic Conditioning Lip Balm; since using it in a pot I like it a lot more and I thought it was time for a little review (another of my lip balm collection posts) :)

I have the Strawberry Creme 'flavour' and it smells really lovely; a cross between the strawberry Quality Street filling and Calpol- love it! It doesn't have a taste at all, which is good because a) it doesn't taste bad, and b) it doesn't make me want to lick it off my lips immediately! It is also colourless on the lips, another bonus as neatness isn't needed- great for on the go application.



My de-potted lip balm.



The original packaging.


My problem with this lip balm is the packaging: it comes in a twist up tube, which would be fine but the twist mechanism is really weak and within a few weeks of having it the tube basically broke- I couldn't twist the product back down and the balm got smushed and was virtually impossible to use. I know I'm not the only person to have this problem, so I'm certain that this is a flaw in the packaging design and not just me and my clumsy ways...

It spent ages in my lip balm box until I saw another review (I forget who from, sorry) on these lip balms and realised I should give it another try, and de-pot it into a usable pot. I used one of my 5ml pots (like the ones I bought last week) and I can't believe I didn't use it for so long!

When in the original tube I did actually find this balm a little too thick and greasy- which I think is because the tube format 'forces' you to apply more than is really necessary, but now it's in a pot it really is the perfect lip balm: it applies smoothly and feels really moisturising (much more so than e.l.f.s studio lip conditioners) and although it's fragranced it doesn't irritate cracked or chapped lips (which I've had a lot of this past week!)

At £1.50 for 2g these are actually relatively expensive (for example Carmex comes in 7.6g pots for £2.69 but- 7.6g of this lip balm would theoretically cost about £5.70) so as much I love these I'm not convinced I'd buy one again, especially as I'd most likely have to throw away the original package and de-pot the product. That said, if e.l.f. ever have a 50% off sale again (which is probably unlikely in the near future) I think I'll stock up!

Overall I really love the product- it's a great moisturising lip balm, but it is seriously let down by its packaging, and gram for gram it's quite pricey; I think I'd rather have something like Carmex which is cheaper and doesn't require packaging rearrangement.

What are your thoughts on the e.l.f. Therapeutic Conditioning Lip Balm? Have you had problems with their packaging too?


                                                                                           xGretalRabbitx

3 comments:

  1. I have never tried this product from e.l.f. usually I just wear Carmex, but after reading your review I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I haven't tried this product before sounds interesting, and I'd probably depot it also as that's how I prefer lip balms :) Great post

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it was useful to you both :)

    @Chantel I'm also a Carmex addict, but this is just as good!

    @Charlee I definitely recommend depotting, the original packaging isn't worth the hassle...

    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)